The AJA CION 4K/UltraHD/2K/HD production camera has been one of the most anticipated cameras to come off from NAB 2014. Announced to much of the surprise of the industry, the ergonomic design and stellar features quickly drew hundreds of attendees to the AJA Booth. We were there too, and quite impressed with the first camera from AJA.
After months of hard work by the engineering team at AJA doing their best to get the camera up for production, the wait is finally over as AJA recently announced that the camera is ready and is now shipping globally.
To place your order – visit our AJA CION page for further info on accessories and demo videos.
Here's more on this great news from AJA:
Ergonomic and lightweight in design with unparalleled connectivity, CION™ is capable of shooting at 4K/UltraHD and 2K/HD resolutions. In-camera recording directly to the Apple ProRes family of codecs, including 12-bit ProRes 444, enables incredible image quality capture to cost-effective AJA Pak SSD media at up to 4K/60p, and offers compatibility with a wide range of post production applications. CION also outputs AJA Raw HFR at up to 4K/120p. CION is the only 4K/UltraHD camera available that captures internally to 12-bit ProRes 444.
Featuring more simultaneous on-set monitoring outputs than any other camera in its class, alongside a built-in confidence monitor and LAN browser video tap, CION provides advanced monitoring flexibility for a wide range of productions. Users can choose a combination of 2 x 4K/UltraHD and 3 x 2K/HD or 8 x 2K/HD, check each camera feed in multi-cam setups through an integrated LAN connection, and monitor remaining recording time all in tandem.
The unique LAN port and embedded webserver facilitates full remote configuration and control, so users can set up and control or gang control multiple CION cameras via a standard web browser. Made from a lightweight yet strong magnesium alloy and featuring a contoured suede shoulder pad, CION is easy and comfortable to setup and operate.
Using AJA’s Pak Dock on set, CION operators can also achieve lightning fast transfer speeds via Thunderbolt™ or USB3 for immediate access to files for editing. Third party lens mounts are available which allow CION greater compatibility than any other 4K/UltraHD camera system.
“CION is the culmination of years of R&D, technical ingenuity and passion. We couldn’t be prouder to release it; it not only delivers an extraordinary film-like image quality and accuracy, but offers a unique feature set that facilitates a level of flexibility and control in production environments unlike anything else before regardless of resolution – while still providing the same great reliability and support that AJA is known for,” said Nick Rashby, president, AJA Video Systems.
• Sensor: 4K APS-C sized CMOS sensor with an electronic global shutter. 12-stops of dynamic range. • Exposure index: 250, 320, 500 and 800 • Gamma: Disabled, Normal, Normal Expanded, Video and Expanded 1 • Recording Formats and Resolutions: Apple ProRes 4444, Apple ProRes 422 (HQ), Apple ProRes 422, ProRes 422 (LT) and Apple ProRes (Proxy); 4K (4096x2160), UltraHD (3840x2160), 2K (2048x1080), HD (1920x1080). 2K and HD are hardware scaled from the full 4K sensor for high-quality over-sampled images and retention of field-of-view. • Media: Record to AJA Pak SSD media available in 256GB and 512GB capacities. Transfer via Thunderbolt™ or USB3 with optional AJA Pak Dock; Complete 10-bit and 12-bit workflow from HD to 4K. • Raw Support: Output AJA Raw via 3G-SDI at up to 4K 120 fps or via Thunderbolt™ at up to 4K 30 fps. • Lens Mount: Industry standard PL mount, removable, with 3rd party mounts available for CanonEF/FD, Nikon F/G-Mount, Leica M, ARRI Bayonet, Panavision and B4 ENG lens types.
4 x 3G-SDI/HD-SDI outputs (4K/UltraHD/2K/HD) 2 x 3G/HD-SDI monitor outputs with overlay support 1 x HDMI output offering support for 4K and UltraHD or scaled 2K/HD 1 x HDMI output for 2K/HD 2 x mic/line/48v XLR analog audio inputs 2 x LANC control ports 1 x LTC input connector 1 x Reference connector 1 x USB connector 1 x 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN connection 1 x Mini TRS headphone jack 1 x 4-pin XLR power connector 1 x input power connector for attaching third-party battery plates 1 x P-TAP output power connector 1x Thunderbolt™ connector
In addition, the AJA features these important additions to aid in the field:
- * Optical Low Pass Filter and IR cut filter: An integrated OLPF (Optical Low Pass Filter) reduces unwanted moiré effects while still retaining vital image detail. The infrared (IR) cut filter produces high quality colors within the image by blocking unwanted light wavelengths.
- * Back Focus Adjustment: The mechanical calibration of the distance between lens and sensor allows finely tuned adjustments to ensure the sharpest image quality possible.
- * Industrial design: Lightweight magnesium chassis, built-in confidence monitor, standard playback controls and connectors placed to optimize functionality.
- * Integrated “cheese plates” fitted to both the top and the bottom of the chassis provide easy mounting of accessories. All CION accessory connection points use open standards, including 15mm rods, 1/4-20 and 3/8-16 threaded holes, and M6 rosettes.
- * User interface: Via operator side panel display, control knob and buttons or via LAN connection using a web-browser; no software installation required.
AJA pioneered professional ProRes support with the Io HD, the first non-Apple device to encode ProRes, introduced in 2007, and then the Ki Pro recorder, introduced in 2009. CION builds on these achievements by offering in-camera recording directly to proven AJA Pak SSD media in the Apple ProRes family of codecs - including 12-bit ProRes 444 - for pristine image capture at up to 4K/60p. CION also outputs AJA Raw at up to 4K/120p, with support already announced by industry leading companies such as Adobe and Colorfront.
For all your AJA CION needs or queries, feel free to contact our AJA and large sensor camera specialists at 0208 977 1222.