Visual Impact Blog
- Sony recently announced their next firmware update for the PXW-FS7 and PXW-X70 cameras. The FS7 gains 4K (4096 x 2160) internal recording in XAVC-I in the form a free update in March 2015 in addition to ProRes HQ/422 at 1920 x 1080p up to 30p internal recording on XQD cards (requires XDCA-FS7 extension unit). The Sony PXW-X70, which at the moment is limited to 1080p, will receive a paid firmware update to allow for 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) in XAVC-L up to 30fps – the firmware update for the PXW-X70 is expected to be available in June 2015.
- ARRI has done it again – they've taken the best features of the ALEXA and this time given it a lightweight carbon fibre treatment in a very compact package. The ALEXA MINI is designed for wireless operation for drones and 3-axis hand held gimbal stabilisers. Such stabiliser device have been growing in popularity across a variety of productions from narrative, commercials, music videos to documentaries and corporate work.
- ARRI have just released SUP 11.0, a free firmware update for the ALEXA XT cameras and ALEXA Classics, primarily allowing for ProRes 3.2K capture internally. Designed for TV productions on a budget, 3.2K capture is perfect for 4K deliverables. Despite the fact that the majority of TV content is still delivered in HD, mastering certain programmes in 4K/UHD will future proof such productions. See the details of SUP 11.0 below.
- Canon has a long-standing tradition in the manufacturing of lenses for TV production and is known for making some of the finest broadcast lenses around. Despite the recent surge in larger sensor cameras used for ENG work, such as Super 35 sensor cameras like the Canon EOS C300, the majority of broadcast work is still done via 2/3” HDTV cameras and lenses. Continuing their tradition in giving broadcast camera professionals the range and quality in lens options and glass, Canon have just announced their latest broadcast lens – the HJ24ex7.5B specifically designed for 2/3” HD acquisition.
- Protecting your gear from the elements is not only important, but a necessity, we all know that. Camrade has some fantastic protective bags and rain covers for a wide range of cameras from all major brands including Sony, Panasonic, Canon, Blackmagic Design, AJA and many more. Their philosophy and mission is to provide optimum protection and carrying comfort under all conditions. camRade is continuously developing a high quality range of enclosures specially designed to protect equipment and make it easier to transport with safety. So whether it's protection from harsh weather or transport, camRade has your back.