Visual Impact Blog
- ARRI has done it again – they've taken the best features of the ALEXA and this time given it a lightweight carbon fibre treatment in a very compact package. The ALEXA MINI is designed for wireless operation for drones and 3-axis hand held gimbal stabilisers. Such stabiliser device have been growing in popularity across a variety of productions from narrative, commercials, music videos to documentaries and corporate work.
- ARRI have just released SUP 11.0, a free firmware update for the ALEXA XT cameras and ALEXA Classics, primarily allowing for ProRes 3.2K capture internally. Designed for TV productions on a budget, 3.2K capture is perfect for 4K deliverables. Despite the fact that the majority of TV content is still delivered in HD, mastering certain programmes in 4K/UHD will future proof such productions. See the details of SUP 11.0 below.
- Canon has a long-standing tradition in the manufacturing of lenses for TV production and is known for making some of the finest broadcast lenses around. Despite the recent surge in larger sensor cameras used for ENG work, such as Super 35 sensor cameras like the Canon EOS C300, the majority of broadcast work is still done via 2/3” HDTV cameras and lenses. Continuing their tradition in giving broadcast camera professionals the range and quality in lens options and glass, Canon have just announced their latest broadcast lens – the HJ24ex7.5B specifically designed for 2/3” HD acquisition.
- Protecting your gear from the elements is not only important, but a necessity, we all know that. Camrade has some fantastic protective bags and rain covers for a wide range of cameras from all major brands including Sony, Panasonic, Canon, Blackmagic Design, AJA and many more. Their philosophy and mission is to provide optimum protection and carrying comfort under all conditions. camRade is continuously developing a high quality range of enclosures specially designed to protect equipment and make it easier to transport with safety. So whether it's protection from harsh weather or transport, camRade has your back.
- ARRI previously announced back in the Fall, that their documentary-style AMIRA camera will be able to record 4K UHD on-board in the near future. Today ARRI has made good on its promise to unlock the true potential of their "baby" ALEXA - the ARRI AMIRA by announcing the SUP (firmware update in ARRI speak) 2.0 which will give the camera UHD recording options and to the delight of thousands of broadcast DP's and producers - broadcast workhorse MPEG-2 50Mb/s 422 MXF recording in a future update to come in the middle of 2015.