Sony unveils new palm-sized 4K HDR camcorders which combine superb picture quality with high-speed precision at the IBC 2017 show. Three new palm camcorders - PXW-Z90, HXR-NX80, and FDX-AX700 - feature 1-inch EXMOR RS CMOS sensors as well as stunning autofocus performance with 273-point phase-detection AF sensor and 4K HDR recording.
The new camcorders support an instant HDR (High Dynamic Range) workflow, which means they can record in HLG (Hyrbid Log Gamma) for HDR delivery with minimum post-production for either web or broadcast and/or home viewing.
We strongly believe in empowering customers to tell amazing stories, whether it’s a journalist out in the field covering a breaking news event, or a freelancer working under the tight deadline pressures of a one-day corporate shoot” explained James Leach, European Product Manager, Sony Professional Solutions Europe. “Our new palm camcorders do exactly that. By minimising the efforts required to focus on a subject in-frame and streamlining the post-production workflow, we’re helping users concentrate on what they do best: storytelling.
The new camcorders support 4K HDR recording with HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma), offering an instant HDR workflow. This enables users to reduce the post-production work and produce high-quality HDR content without grading, which usually requires a highly skilled technique and specialist knowledge. They also have the following key technology features to support versatile shooting, including;
• 4K full-pixel readout without pixel binning, using an enhanced BIONZ X™ image processing engine
• Super Slow Motion3 recording up to 960fps4 , which is industry leading among palm categories and Slow & Quick Motion5 Full HD recording up to 120fps6
• S-Log3/S-Gamut3 capabilities for users to create and work with images as they desire.
• 29mm7 (35EQ) wide-angle ZEISS® Vario-Sonnar T* 12x optical zoom lens and 18x Clear Image Zoom8
• Less image distortion (rolling shutter phenomenon), in comparison to conventional models when shooting subjects in motion
Add a more professional polish to corporate video and events production with the HXR-NX80. Record 4K at 100Mbps or Full HD at 50Mbps in XAVC S™ at 50Mbps for stunning picture quality plus exceptional workflow flexibility and storage efficiency. Fast Hybrid AF locks on to dynamic action with impressive sharpness. Instant HDR workflow increases the value of your content
Realise your biggest creative ambitions with the beautifully compact PXW-Z90. Capture broadcast quality 4K footage in XAVC™ QFHD at 100Mbps, with responsive Fast Hybrid AF that tracks fast-moving subjects with ease. Shoot, edit and view HDR content in HLG without the need for additional colour grading. Professional connections integrate seamlessly with your SDI production infrastructure.
Sony PXW-Z90/HXR-NX80 palm-sized 4K HDR Camcorder Key Features:
• 4K full-pixel readout without pixel binning
• Enhanced BIONZ X image processing engine
• Super Slow Motion recording up to 960fps (quality varies)
• Full HD recording up to 120fps
• 29mm (35mm equivalent) wide-angle ZEISS lens
• 12x optical zoom lens and 18x Clear Image Zoom
• MI multi-interface shoe for cable-less audio (with Sony UWP-D11 for example)
• Record onto SD cards
• 10bit 422 in Full HD XAVC-Long GOP (Z90)
• UHD is 8bit 420
• PXW-Z90 features 3G-SDI and HDMI
• NX80 – HDMI only
• 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz with QoS Streaming (Z90)
In addition to the above key features as series, the XDCAM® PXW-Z90 and NXCAM® HXR-NX80 also feature dual XLR audio input, a detachable handle, and access to Content Browser Mobile - a supporting smartphone application to enable Wi-Fi® monitoring, Camcorder remote control and wireless timecode sync9 between multiple cameras.
The PXW-Z90 also includes several features to suit broadcast-specific requirements including XAVC®format recording, which provides high-quality images at 4:2:2 10 bit (HD) and 4:2:0 8 bit (QFHD) in addition to conventional broadcasting MPEG2HD9 format recording, 3G SDI connectivity for compatibility with existing broadcasting equipment, and networking functions to support news reporting, such as compatibility with XDCAM® air, the Sony cloud-based ENG subscription service.
Now there’s no need to compromise: the FDR-AX700 opens up new creative horizons for videographers and enthusiasts. Fast Hybrid AF tracks even fast-moving subjects for clear focused results with any scene. Record 4K 100Mbps or Full HD at 50Mbps in XAVC S™ for spectacular pictures and easy editing. Instant HDR takes your footage to the next level.