With NAB now upon us the new product releases are coming in thick and fast so this blog covers Sony, RODE, Teradek and Wooden Camera. More dedicated blogs on individual manufacturers and products will be released later.
Sony have been basking in the recent success of their flagship cine camera VENICE so for this year’s NAB they have turned their attention to the smaller palm camcorders, live production systems and updates to some of its existing products.
The HXR-MC88 is a palm-sized entry-level camcorder that has a 1.0 type Exmor RS™ CMOS sensor Fast Hybrid AF, 48x zoom and AVCHD recording.
It has a super high resolution OLED viewfinder and 3.5-type LCD making it ideal for the videographers.
- Revolutionary imaging performance with Exmor RS
- High-speed autofocus
- Enhanced Fast Hybrid auto focus captures action
- Wide-angle zoom lens with great control
- Superb quality monitoring with enhanced OLED viewfinder
- AVCHD progressive recording
- Built-in Neutral Density (ND) filters
- Dual XLR inputs
- Dual media slots
- Multi-Interface (MI) Shoe
- Versatile connections for professional workflows
- Remote operation
- Simple live solution
The HDC-5500 is a 2/3-inch 4K HDR three-CMOS camera system with global shutter and direct 4K output from the camera head.
Its main features are high sensitivity, low signal-to-noise ratio and wide dynamic range, ideal for HDR acquisition. Control is via a 19-inch 3U half-rack CCU supporting IP via SMPTE ST2110 and NMOS IS-04/05 as well as 12G-SDI baseband.
SONY FS7 and FS7 II ENG Kit
The FS7 and FS7 are two of the most popular Sony cameras right now so it’s no surprise that the boys from Japan have decided to extend their capabilities into other areas by announcing 2 new add-ons.
The CBK-FS7BK, a new “build-up kit” that makes that cameras shoulder mountable and brings advanced wireless audio and networking capabilities. The second add-on is the new LA-EB1, an E/B4 mount adapter that enables broadcasters to use their existing B4 lenses with these cameras.
SONY VENICE High Frame Rate licence
As expected Sony announced version 4.0 firmware for the Sony VENICE at NAB which brings new HFR shooting modes including 6K 3:2 at up to 60fps, 4K 4:3 at up to 75fps, 4K 2.39:1 at 120fps and 4K 17:9 at up to 110fps.
SONY SxS Card and Reader
Sony unveiled new SxS Pro media (SBP-120F and 240F) and an SxS Pro card reader/writer. The SBP-120F and 240F media has transfer speeds up to 10Gbps and are capable of 4K HFR framerate.
The new media card reader/writer the SBP-120F supports the Thunderbolt™ 3 interface and is small and light weight with fantastic transfer speeds. For example, a 38-minute 4K@60p video clip stored as a 240GB XAVC-I file can be transferred in just 3.5 minutes – approximately three times faster than SxS PRO+.
SBP-120F and 240F SxS Pro media
- Transfer speed up to 10Gbps (1250MB/s)
- Stable 4K video capture of high frame rate
- Durable and reliable
- 3.5 minute transfer of 240GB of video content with new SBAC-T40 (reader/writer)
SONY PXW-Z280 and Z190 Firmware 3.0
Some sound improvements for these cameras are coming along with the latest 3.0 firmware release announced at NAB.
V3.0 Firmware features
- Wireless file transfer with Dual Link connection multiplexing two cellular networks
- Fast and stable file transfer to XDCAM Air or FTP servers
- File transfer using camcorder GUI without mobile application
- Both proxy and high resolution clips can be transferred
- Visual job list so you can see transferring progress
- Support for Multi Interface (MI) shoe with Digital Audio Interface for the new UW-P wireless microphone series.
- Wireless microphone information on the viewfinder including RF level meter, audio mute status, low battery warning
SONY PZW-4000 4K XAVC Recorder
The PZW-4000 4K XAVC recorder supports XAVC-L422 QFHD 200 recording/playback along with XAVC-I QFHD 300. It also allows for direct playout from SxS memory cards, without ingesting media into an internal SSD, in addition to simultaneous recording to the internal SSD and SxS card. A VTR-like, simple control panel is included, enabling professional users to easy-to-control operations by their familiar and experienced skills.
TERADEK Bolt 4K
Teradek have launched Bolt 4K, a new 4K wireless video transmission system which according to Teradek is the first to have Zero-Delay ! There are two models the Bolt 4K 750 which has a range of up to 750 ft and Bolt 4K 1500 which has a range of up to 1,500 ft. Both have 8x the reliability of previous HD models, 1.5x more range, and better image quality.
Bolt 4K transmits 10-bit, 4:2:2 HDR video at a range of up to 1,500 feet line-of-sight over the unlicensed 5GHz band, and can multicast to 6 receivers simultaneously. For HDR workflows, Bolt 4K supports the HDR-10, PQ, and HLG standards and can transport extended camera metadata, timecode, and record triggers over the wireless link.
Teradek VidiU Go HDMI
The VidiU Go HDMI is an HDMI only version of their popular VidiU Go family. It is a HEVC / H.264 live streaming encoder with professional bonded cellular technology.
- HEVC / H.264 live streaming encoder with professional bonded cellular technology - HDMI
- Instant Live Streaming
- Stream with HEVC or H.264 compression
- Supports up to two high performance 3G / 4G / LTE Teradek Node modems
- 3G-SDI and HDMI inputs | USB-C power
- Streams to any online video platform, including Facebook, YouTube, Periscope, and more
- Streams to multiple video platforms simultaneously with Core and Sharelink
- VidiU Go with SDI & HDMI also available
For the best in premium lens control technology Teradak have release the CTRL.3 lens controller and MDR.X smart receiver. Thankfully both offer compatibility with previous generation Latitude and MK3.1 RT products.
The RT CTRL.3 is a powerful 3-axis wireless controller with built-in lens mapping and data storage. When paired to any SmallHD monitor running OS3, CTRL.3 can display critical lens data as overlays directly on the monitor, allowing camera assistants to pull focus and keep eyes on the image.
- 3-axis wireless lens controller for Focus Iris and Zoom
- Real-time lens data overlays on SmallHD monitors
- Create lens tables and map to pre-marked rings
- 5000 ft. wireless range
- Built-in Bluetooth for use w/ iOS app - manage settings and share lens maps quickly
- Integrated rosette for custom monitor mounting bracket
The RT MDR.X is an ultra-lightweight three-channel lens control receiver with Bluetooth. It features full focus/iris/zoom support, integrated RED camera control, and an OLED display for lens information.
- 3-axis receiver for focus, iris, zoom
- Ultra lightweight 140g
- On-unit OLED display
- Bluetooth for remote access via Teradek RT App for iOS
The new Ace 500 is an ultralight wireless video system that delivers uncompressed 1080p60 video at up to 500 ft. with zero delay. Connect the Ace 500 to any HDMI camera including DSLRs, camcorders, and even action cams like Go Pro.
- Ace 500 HDMI Transmitter/Receiver Set
- Zero delay transmission < 1ms
- 500ft Range line of sight
- Lossless 1080p Video quality
- Transmit up to 4 Receivers simultaneously
- HDMI Input / Output
- Super light weight
- Compatible with Bolt & SmallHD Focus Bolt
The new products from Wooden Camera that were launched at NAB are:
Zip Box Pro
Lightweight, Compact Clamp-On Mattebox for Various Diameter Lenses.
- Extremely lightweight
- Holds three 4x5 6.5 filters
- Interchangeable back
- Swing Away or Clamp on
- Protective Carbon Fibre Top Flag
- Fits all popular lens sizes
VX Skateboard Camera Mic
VX Skateboard Camera Mic is a recreation of the Sony VX1000 microphone for use on modern cameras. 4 microphone capsules are arranged in the same orientation as the original VX1000 and a digital signal processor emulates the frequency filtering and compression.
- Emulates VX100 audio
- Stereo microphone
- 48 hour battery life
- Mounts by camera shoe
- Charges by USB-C
Wooden Camera launched a number of ARRI LPL Mounts that allows ARRI LPL Signature Prime Lenses to be used on the Sony Venice, Sony E-Mount and RED DSMC2 cameras.
RODE announced their new wireless system Wireless GO at NAB which is a Receiver & Transmitter with a Built-in Microphone. The transmitter/receiver combo is battery powered through an internal rechargeable battery that lasts up to 7 hours. Its ideal for filmmakers, on-camera presenters and vloggers.
- Up to 70m range, "optimized for shorter-range operation in congested radio-frequency environments"
- Built-in omnidirectional condenser microphone
- Series II 2.4GHz digital wireless transmission with 128-bit encryption
- Operates as a clip-on microphone or belt-pack transmitter for a lavalier/headset microphone
- TX and RX have built-in rechargeable batteries, charged via USB-C
- Up to 7 hours on a full charge, including a battery saver mode
- Super lightweight and ultra-compact: TX and RX are only 29g each
- The transmitter and receiver pair in just 3 seconds
- 3-stage output pad: 0, -6dB and -12dB
- Use up to 8 systems in one location
For more information, you can contact us directly via the following:
Tel: 0208 977 1222
For tips and independent advice follow us on:
Watch more Visual Impact videos here: www.youtube.com/user/visualimpactuk