The new Speed Booster EF to E ULTRA II and Smart Adapter Mark V ensures compatibility with the new locking mount on the FS7 II, while the new CINE EF to E Speed Booster and CINE Smart Adapter feature a locking type EF mount on the lens side to prevent lens play and ensure lens stability.
To say that Canon EF lenses have been popular with video shooters using all sorts of interchangeable lens cameras on all levels of productions is a bit of an understatement.
So naturally, adapting such EF lenses to Sony cameras becomes not just a necessity but in most cases a must for shooters heavily invested in EF glass.
Here is where the new Speed Booster CINE EF to E and CINE Smart Adapter come in. Featuring a new locking style EF mount and a rubber seal at the camera (E mount) end, the new CINE Speed Boosters borrow the design of the highly-acclaimed CINE EF-FZ mount from Metabones, which allowed Sony F5 and F55 users to adapt Canon EF mount lenses to their cameras.
Summary New Metabones EF to E Adapters:
- Canon EF-E mount T CINE Speed Booster ULTRA (MB_SPEF-E-BT3)
- Suggested Retail Price USD 699 (no UK Price yet)
- Canon EF-E mount T CINE Smart Adapter (MB_EF-E-BT6)
- Suggested Retail Price USD 449 (no UK Price yet)
- Canon EF-E mount T Speed Booster ULTRA II (model number MB_SPEF-E-BT3)
- Suggested Retail Price TBD
- Canon EF-E mount T Smart Adapter (MB_EF-E-BT5)
- Suggested Retail Price TBD
Metabones CINE EF to E SB and Smart Adapters New Features
- CINE models feature a new positive-lock EF lens mount.
- Rubber gasket protects E-mount connection from dust and moisture.
- Compatible with Sony FS7 Mark II
- Status notification LED light
- Dedicated switch controls in-body image stabilisation (IBIS)
- Fast contrast-detect AF on all E-mount cameras.
- Phase-detect auto-focus support on Sony A7RII, A7II, A6300 and A6500.
- Smooth iris support with the latest Canon (2009+), Tamron (SP series 2013+) and Sigma (2016+) lenses
- Supports 5-axis in-body image stabilization of A7II, A7RII and A7SII. (Distance information from lens required; 3-axis IBIS if lens does not transmit distance information.)
- Powered by camera body. No external power source required.
- Aperture control from camera body.
- Custom function button assignable to more than 50 functions on A7 series and A6300/A6500.
- High performance 32-bit processor and efficient switched-mode power supply.
- Supports image stabilisation (IS) lenses.
- Supports electronic manual focusing (e.g. EF 85/1.2L II and discontinued EF 50/1.0L)
- EXIF support (focal length, aperture, zoom range)
- Distance and zoom display on VG and FS series camcorders, A7 series and A6300/A6500 (lens with distance information support required).
- Auto magnify (lens with distance information support required)
- Auto "APS-C Size Capture" on full-frame cameras.
Optical (Speed Booster models only) /Mechanical Features
- Increase maximum aperture by 1 stop.
- Increase MTF.
- Makes lens 0.71x wider.
- Advanced 5-element/4-group optical design incorporating ultra-high index tantalum-based optical glass by Caldwell Photographic in the USA (patent).*
- Felt material flocked inside the opening to reduce internal reflection.
- The tripod foot is detachable and compatible with Arca Swiss, Markins, and Photo Clam ball heads.
Unfortunately, the current EF to E Speed Booster models (MB_SPEF-E-BT2) and the Smart Adapter Mark IV are not compatible with the new FS7 II. Please see the compatibility table below for more information.
The new CINE EF to E Speed booster and Smart Adapter are expected to start shipping in February.