Leica's newest Thalia cine prime lineup has been designed to cover large format sensors such as RED 8K Vista Vision, 35mm full-frame, ARRI Alexa 65 and of course Super 35 sensors. The Thalia lenses are comprised of 9 focal lengths in PL mount with 95mm unified fronts, and "perfectly" circular bokeh for some really pleasing round out-of-focus backgrounds.
Similar to their Leica Summilux-C and Summicron-C siblings, the new Thalia's will work with the same front accessories like clamp-on Leica Cine MacroLux +0.5, +1, +2 diopters.
The Leica Thalia lenses accept 92 mm screw-in front filters and have a rear net holder just like the Summilux-C. Despite their 60mm image circle, the large format Thalias are actually lighter and shorter than the Super35 Summicron-C primes, which are already extremely light and small. The mechanical design is consistently Leica-like, rugged and ergonomic.
Leica Thalia Highlights
- 60 mm diagonal Image Circle - covers ARRI ALEXA 65, RED and DXL 8K VV, VistaVision, Full Frame, Super35
- PL and XPL (for ARRI Rental) – Stainless Steel
- 95 mm front diameter on all lenses in set
- Front Filter: 92 mm screw-in (same as Summilux-C)
- Rear net holder: Same as on Summilux-C
- Matched barrels: Focus and Iris Ring locations in same position for all focal lengths. 0.8M Lens Gears.
- Metadata: /i Technology lens data contacts
- Focus Rotation: 270°
- Iris Blades: 15
- Iris Shape: Circular at all apertures
The 270 degree focus travel is smooth and plentiful for more precise focus, while the 15 blade aperture ensures pleasing and totally circular bokeh at all apertures.
Initially, only 6 Thalia lenses are expected to ship around mid-summer; those are the 30mm T2.9, 35mm T2.6, 45mm T2.9, 70mm T2.6, 100mm T2.2, and the telephoto 180mm mm.
The remaining 3 Thalias should ship towards the end of the year in 24mm T3.6, 55mm T2.8, and 120mm T2.6 with close focus capability.
FDtimes has a more detailed write up for those interested. We can supply Leica lenses, so if you are considering Leica Summicrons or Summilux lenses or interested in the new Thalia's give us a ring at 0208 977 1222 to discuss your requirements.