Blackmagic just released firmware version 2.3 for their Blackmagic Video Assist 5-inch and Video Assist 4K model, allowing for LUT monitoring, new False Colour, improved colorimetry, reduced fan noise and more.
The new LUT support features 6 built-in 3D LUT for both Blackmagic Video Assist models. In addition, the 5-inch Blackmagic Video Assist now has false colour for better judging your exposre, expanded focus assist options and manual locking of the auto rotate screen.
There's also good news for, Avid and Windows based editors, who can now use the Video Assist to use DNxHD 220, 145 and 45, along with DNxHD files as MXF to improve compatibility and performance with Avid systems.
Blackmagic Video Assist Firmware 2.3 Details
- LUT monitoring for both the Blackmagic Video Assist / Video Assist 4K
- MXF wrapper to DNxHD for the Blackmagic Video Assist
- DNx different bit-rates - DNxHD 220,145 and 45 for the Blackmagic Video Assist
- False Color monitoring to the Blackmagic Video Assist
- Expanded options for Focus Assist to include Red, Green, Blue and White as well as Peaking
- Manual control for screen orientation
- Extended HDMI luminance range for the Blackmagic Video Assist
- Improves screen colorimetry on Blackmagic Video Assist
- Improves fan audible noise on the Blackmagic Video Assist
For those not yet familiar with the Blackmagic Video Assist 4K, check out our review below:
The new monitoring and codec options are a huge improvement especially to the 5-inch Video Assist, which is limited to 1080p recording, however due to its more compact size, it has become a very popular option for budget oriented filmmakers.
Head on over to the official Blackmagic Design support page here to download Firmware 2.3.