At IBC 2016, Atomos announced their flagship 4K/60p, CinemaDNG Raw and HDR monitor/recorder Shogun Inferno is shipping this month with some new amazing features including ARRIRAW & Panasonic HDR Raw recording, expanded PQ & HLG compatibility for playback to HDR screens & wider support from editing packages for mobile HDR editing. The company also announced they forged a partnership with renowned hard disk and backup solutions maker G-Technology by directly integrating the Atomos Master Caddy into the G-Technology ev Series workflow solutions.
We caught up with Atomos boss Jeromy Young at IBC 2016 and got this video for you in which Jeromy explains the new updates and partnership with G-Tech.
“We’ve seriously changed the monitor world with the combination of HDR and High Bright daylight monitoring – the image we create for a field monitor rivals the quality you see with high end studio monitors. For the price, we basically include recording, playback and editing for free”, said Jeromy Young, CEO and Co-founder of Atomos, “The Shogun Inferno is our final piece in the HDR puzzle. Arming high end cameras and filmmakers with the high frame rate, high resolution, high dynamic range & high brightness monitoring, recording and playback needed to get the most from the amazing sensors crafted by ARRI, Sony, Panasonic, Red and Canon – we truly do upgrade these amazing solutions”.
Summary of Shogun Inferno New Features
- ARRIRAW Support - both 16:9 and 4:3 raw formats can be recorded in the native .ari format to your SSD of choice using our Master Caddy system as an affordable media alternative to the SxS modules.
- Panasonic Raw Support - Varicam LT users, already benefiting from the internal Atomos ProRes recording module, can now record raw externally as a CDNG file to the Shogun Inferno
- PQ & HLG playback - Inferno will now support both HDR luminance standards, PQ (ST 2084) and HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) expanding compatibility with HDR flat screens.
- PQ & HLG input - In addition to playback, Inferno also supports PQ and HLG input for mobile HDR grading from NLE’s or from cameras such as Grass Valley, Red, Arri (PQ) and Ikegami (HLG) with output for HDR monitoring in studio and live environments
- Scheduled playout - In addition to instant playback and playlist generation for reviewing set clips or marked favorites, Inferno can schedule playout for live events, instore demonstration and more
- HDR NLE metadata support - AtomHDR makes setting correct exposure easy on set, now by storing those settings as metadata, color grading is made easier by helping reproduce the same result in post
- New AtomFlex – 4Kp60 Cables – Atomos announced a new range of 4K/60p compatible HDMI cables to support the high frame rate Shogun Inferno, which will launch end of September 2016. The new AtomFlex cables, are HDMI 2.0 compatible, and have been perfected for life on set with rugged die cast connectors and coiled cables to keep clutter to a minimum. 6 models are available; Full to Full HDMI, Micro to Full HDMI and Mini to Full HDMI in 2 lengths, 30cm coiled (60cm extended) and 40cm (80cm extended)
Thanks to the new partnership with G-Technology users can now speed up their workflow via a new Master Caddy system that is directly integrated into the G-Technology range of ev Series solutions.
The same affordable SSD drives can remain loaded in the Atomos Master Caddy after the shoot, loaded into a G-Technology ev Series Reader (Atomos Master Caddy edition) and be used across the range of G-Technology ev Series desktop editing systems and high performance RAID systems.
For ARRI Alexa Mini and AMIRA users the 6G SDI connection gives Atomos access to the full capability of the amazing ARRI sensor, making monitoring a HDR image in LOG-C possible. Additionally, by recording Arri raw externally to the native .ari format you gain an incredibly affordable recording solution. For example, a 256GB SxS memory card, which is typically $1700 can be replaced with the same capacity SSD for less than $100.
For Panasonic Varicam LT, the Shogun Inferno offers higher resolution 10bit industry proven 4K Apple ProRes and AVID DNxHR in 10-bit quality. It also doubles as an affordable solution for recording raw and will benefit from the calibrated 7” 1500nit monitor, which with AtomHDR perfectly displays V-Log in HDR quality.
You can order your Shogun Inferno directly from our website here.