Video Devices announced a brand new line of 4K ProRes recorders at NAB 2015 back in April and have been working hard since to get the three units out to market and into the hands of eager video professionals.
With both PIX-E5 and the PIX-E5H 4K recorder now shipping, the company has just released the next firware update version 1.05 for the 4K recorders enabling 3D LUT support among other features, that are surely to prove very useful to DoP's in the field.
The PIX-E line of 4K recorders consists of the PIX-E5H (HDMI only), the PIX-E5 (SDI) and the 7-inch PIX-E7 flagship 4K recorder/monitor. The PIX-E line of 4K recorders enable 4K ProRes recording in various flavours from 10-bit ProRes 422 on the PIX-E5H and ProRes 4444 XQ 12-bit on the PIX-E5 and bigger PIX-E7.
The first two units share a 5-inch, 500nit IPS Full HD 1080p display with 441ppi, which makes for an incredibly detailed and rich image, and feature an incredible amount of professional image control features - such as:
- Waveform Monitor
- False Color
- Frame Markers
- Four Way View
Here's what the latest firmware update adds:
Last update - (v1.05) September 18, 2015
Video Devices PIX-E5 firmware - (v1.05) provides a firmware update for previously released versions.
- 3D LUT support added, including built-in monitoring LUTs for Sony, Canon, and Panasonic.
- Added ability to import and view custom LUTs in .cube format.
- Added LUT softkey menu to quickly compare up to four LUT "looks" with one-touch selection.
- Added support for HDMI Panasonic record triggers, including the Panasonic Lumix GH4.
- Options for MENU > Recorder & Drives > Rec Trigger was re-ordered for a more logical layout.
- Some HDMI 4:2:2 10-bit input signals were incorrectly being detected as 8-bit.
- Various audio issues with the HDMI output signal during playback.
- Recording is now not permitted until the PIX-E5 or PIX-E5H has completely locked to the incoming video signal.
- AV offset with PsF recordings now eliminated.
To update firmware:
- Download the PIX firmware file
PIX-E5_1.05.zipto a computer.
- Connect an SD card or SpeedDrive to the computer.
- Copy the
PIX-E5_1.05.prgfile to the SD card or SpeedDrive.
- Remove the SD card or SpeedDrive from the computer and connect it to the monitor.
- Power up the monitor.
Caution: Ensure that the monitor is powered via the supplied PIX-E PSU and fully-charged batteries. Power loss during a firmware update can result in the monitor becoming inoperable.
- Press the MENU button.
- Select System > Update Firmware. The monitor will search connected drives for a .prg file. When the .prg file is found, follow the on-screen instructions to perform the firmware update.
Note: Firmware updates will take several minutes to complete, and the unit will reboot multiple times during the process. Various functions and ports will become inactive while firmware is updating. The monitor is ready to use when it returns to the main display.
- (Optional) Verify the firmware version by pressing the MENU button and selecting System > Version Info.
The PIX-E5 and PIX-E5H are excellent companions to owner/operators who have Sony A7s and GH4 cameras for example, in addition to the Sony FS7 for example. Both the PIX-E5 and the HDMI version E5H can take a 4K signal via the HDMI and record it in ProRes flavours up to 10bit HQ 422 on the PIX-E5H and up to 12bit ProRes 4444XQ on the SDI PIX-E5.
For more information and to download firmware 1.05 head over to Video Devices here.
To place your order for any of these recorders check out our website here or give us a call at 0208 977 1222.