Just like the Atomos and Shogun recently, Atomos has just released another free firmware update which gives HDR capabilities to their beloved 1080p ProRes recorder/monitors the Samurai Blade and Ninja Blade.
New Features for Samurai/Ninja Blade in AtomOS 5.2
- Added AtomHDR monitoring including HDR waveform functions as outlined below
- HDR and Log to Rec.709 monitor modes. To access these settings, touch the new yellow "Monitor" button.
- HDR mode contains a slider to adjust the number of stops over SDR being displayed on the monitor.
- While in AtomHDR mode, a simplified HDR waveform line has been added to easily set the correct slider position for the dynamic range of the scene.
- HDR monitoring is supported for the Log output from the following cameras; Sony, Canon, Panasonic, Arri, JVC and Red.
- Fixed an issue where an extremely long recording could sometimes result in a corrupted file.
- Add support for playback of 24-bit audio
- Fixed an issue where some files exported from NLE's did not play audio.
This new firmware update, as all other firmware updates that Atomos has released is free of charge for Samurai and Ninja Blade owners. The HDR capabilities on these units becomes really invaluable as it will help those who primarily shoot in LOG be able to gauge their exposure a lot better than before.
You can download the firmware update directly from Atomos here.