Last year at IBC in Amsterdam, Sony announced the large sensor 4K FS7, which proved to be quite the hit for them. We've been taking large numbers of pre-orders from day one, and have delivery quite a few already, but the camera is still not as widely available as Sony and we would like due to the overwhelming demand from owner/operators, rental houses, and production companies eager to get into professional 4K acquisition for a very acceptable price.
Sony announced last month the details of the upcoming firmware update for the PXW-FS7 and XDCA-FS7 extension unit. Today firmware 2.0 is available for download. With the new firmware update (2.0) the FS7 gains 4K (4096 x 2160) internal recording in XAVC-I in addition to ProRes HQ/422 at 1920 x 1080p up to 30p internal recording on XQD cards (requires XDCA-FS7 extension unit).
Here's what's new in Firmware Version 2.0 for the FS7 and XDCA-FS7 Extension unit
1. Professional Four channel audio recording at 24bit, 48 Khz
2. Support for True 4K (4096 x 2160p) in XAVC-Intra at up to 60fps
3. Apple ProRes HQ/422 recording at 1080p internally on XQD media (requires XDCA-FS7 Extension)
4. Eliminates “Magenta Cast” in WB Preset mode
5. Renames “Color Temp <P>” menu parameter to PRESE White
6. Eliminate the need to re-enable “Steady Shot” after power ON/OFF cycle.
7. Retains “Paint Menu” settings after power ON/OFF cycle
FS7 Firmware version 2.00 download:
XDCA-FS7 Firmware Version 2.00 download:
For further details on the new addition to the firmware update 2.0 see our previous blog post on the topic.
The PXW range of Sony cameras are available from Visual Impact, and to get yourself future-proofed with 4K acquisition in camera, get in touch at 0208 977 1222 or visit our Sony cameras page here.