Panasonic has recently announced development of the industry's first 8K high-resolution and high-performance Global Shutter Technology using Organic-Photoconductive-Film (OPF) CMOS Image Sensor. The new technology enables 8K high-resolution (36M pixels) video at 60fps framerate, 450k high-saturation electrons and global shutter imaging with sensitivity modulation function simultaneously.
Panasonic go on to say in their press release, that “By utilizing this OPF CMOS image sensor’s unique structure, we have been able to newly develop and incorporate high-speed noise cancellation technology and high saturation technology in the circuit part. And, by using this OPF CMOS image sensor’s unique sensitivity control function to vary the voltage applied to the OPF, we realize global shutter function.”
With the technology, it is possible to capture images at 8K resolution, even in high contrast scenes, such as a field under strong sunlight and shaded spectator seats under a stadium roof.
The new technology has the following advantages.
- 8K resolution, 60fps framerate, 450k saturation electrons and global shutter function are realized simultaneously.
- Switching between high sensitivity mode and high saturation mode is possible using gain switching function.
- The ND filter function can be realized steplessly by controlling the voltage applied to the OPF.
This Development is based on the following technologies.
- "OPF CMOS image sensor design technology", in that, the photoelectric-conversion part and the circuit part can be designed independently.
- "In-pixel capacitive coupled noise cancellation technique" which can suppress pixel reset noise at high speed even at high resolution
- "In-pixel gain switching technology" that can achieve high saturation characteristics
- "Voltage controlled sensitivity modulation technology" that can adjust the sensitivity by changing the voltage applied to the OPF.
Panasonic holds 135 Japanese patents and 83 overseas patents (including pending) related to this technology. They will present some of these technologies at the international academic conference: ISSCC (International Solid-State Circuit Conference) 2018 which will be held in San Francisco on February 11 - 15, 2018.
In the future, Panasonic hope to utilize this 8K high-resolution OPF CMOS image sensor technology in various applications such as broadcasting cameras, surveillance cameras, industrial inspection cameras, automotive cameras, etc., and will contribute to realize high resolution, high speed and high precision imaging and sensing functions.