My RODE Reel 2017 is back for a 4th year in a row! The Rode Reel Short Film Competition now has a total pool prize of more than $500,000 and is open for submissions until June 30th. Filmmakers have a chance to win equipment and subscriptions from Adobe, Angelbird, Aphex, Atomos, Blackmagic Design, F&V, FilmConvert, FilmSupply, Freefly, Kessler Crane, Teradek, ZEISS, and of course RØDE.
With close to 8,000 video submissions from 89 countries, ‘My RØDE Reel’ has not only become the world’s largest short film competition, but has also established itself as a staple amongst the global filmmaking community.
RØDE Microphones launched ‘My RØDE Reel’ in 2014 to huge international engagement. The competition returns in 2017 with an increased total prize pool of more than $500,000 and, yes, more awards than ever before.
From amateur to professional – all filmmakers are encouraged to take part and tell their story. To enter ‘My RØDE Reel’, people are required to create a short film of three minutes or less, as well as a behind-the-scenes reel that features a RØDE product being used during the production of the film.
The entry kit is FREE and available now at www.myrodereel.com.
In 2017, As well, the group of five marquee awards featured in previous years have become six.
- Judges’ Film award for the best short film
- People’s Choice award for the most popular short film
- Young Filmmaker award for the best short film by an entrant under the age of 18
- Female Filmmaker award. This award, selected by the judging panel, is designed to encourage and celebrate women in the film community.
Each of these prizes is worth over USD $40,000.
The BTS award for the best behind-the-scenes film is for the first time split into two categories:
- Educational BTS Award, for the most informative behind-the-scenes, and
- Entertaining BTS Award: what it says on the tin – most entertaining.
How to enter: 1. Make a three minute short film. 2. Make a three-minute-max behind-the-scenes featuring RØDE product used.
New genre awards in 2017 include: Best Virtual Reality film (using 360-degree cameras), best 30-second TVC (for RØDE, naturally) and Best Vlog. A full list of categories can be found at www.myrodereel.com.